Join us for a night walk, leaving in time to witness the sunset on the Cairngorm Mountain plateau before summiting Ben Macdui in darkness and descending into the morning sunrise.
Setting off at around 7pm on the Saturday night from the Cairngorm Ski Centre Carpark, we will head onto the Cairngorm Plateau. As we do so we will witness the last light of the day and the sun setting at approximately 9pm. As we ascend into darkness, we will use torches and night navigation skills to summit the highest mountain in the Cairngorms, Ben Macdui.
At this time of year in the Cairngorms, the nights are short so it won’t be long until we are able to witness the sun rising again. Before this happens we will make time to appreciate the night skies with opportunities for night photography and, if we’re lucky, to witness the natural phenomenon of noctilucent clouds.
Before we head back down to the car park, we will enjoy a cooked breakfast with hot drinks (cooked and brewed by your guide!). This is a great opportunity to have a wee blether and take in the dawn from an elevated mountain setting.
The strange summer night-sky phenomenon of noctilucent clouds.
Cairngorm Treks will offer the following:
- A warming breakfast and hot drinks in a mountain setting before you head back home.
- Highly experienced and qualified guiding, enabling you to get safely and with confidence to some of Scotland’s most stunning mountain locations.
- An opportunity to learn night navigation techniques.
- Encyclopaedic knowledge of the Cairngorms, including expertise relating to the history, geology, flora and fauna of the Cairngorm mountains
- Empathy, sensitivity, patience and understanding, especially for people new to the mountains and night-time trekking.
- Selecting routes and locations that suit all the group and offer enough challenge and diverse experiences without being over strenuous or demanding.
- A good sense of humour and plenty of blether!