Join us for this overnight bivvy bag adventure summiting the third highest mountain in the UK, Braeriach, whilst enjoying the summer solstice from the UK’s most northerly National Park.
Starting out in the afternoon, this summer solstice adventure aims to let you enjoy walking through the shortest night of the year where darkness is never truly reached in the mountains.
The start of our journey, just a few miles outside of Aviemore, will take us through the magnificent Caledonian pinewoods of Rothiemurchus. As we gain height we will walk out of the pine forest and onto the rugged and wild mountain pass of the Lairig Ghru. From here a steep ascent of Sron an Lairig will take us up to 1180m with stunning views through the Lairig pass, Lurcher’s Crag, and our first real glimpse of our target peak. After a final steep ascent as we approach the peak of Braeriach (1296m) the sun will begin to set and from here we will find a suitable area to get into our bivvy bags and welcome in the summer solstice with hot drinks and a wee dram. The group will then be given a few hours rest before our guide gently wakes everyone up with the sizzle and smell of a cooked breakfast (vegetarian and vegan options can easily be catered for). We will then begin our descent passing the Wells of Dee and Loch Eanaich before re-entering the pinewoods of Rothiemurchus and back to our starting point in the afternoon of the 22nd.
- Summit the UK’s 3rd Highest Mountain
- Enjoy Summer Solstice views from the peak
- Night navigation tuition on route for those who would like to gain extra skills
- After a rest at the summit a full cooked breakfast will be served before our descent
- 360 panoramic views including Ben Macdui, the Lairig Ghru, Cairn Toul, Angel’s Peak and Sgor Gaoith
- Experience the connection with the landscape that can only be achieved from a Bivvy bag